FoHC Annual Summer Picnic 2014 – Sustainability Hints and Tips
When planning what to bring for the picnic, consider the principles ‘Reduce, Reuse and then Recycle.’
Below are 5 simple tips which will help us to keep the common clean and minimise the landfill and recycling waste that we create on the day.
1. Plan what you bring on the day. Think less plastic packaged items and disposable items (plastic cups, knives and forks etc go straight into the bin); if you can – please bring your own reusable items.
2. Drinks and Refreshments. Refreshments will be available at the picnic. We will charge less per cup for anyone who brings a mug for tea, coffee or squash.
3. Bring and share your food - especially short-shelf life items. Have you got some yoghurts or bread that you won’t eat in time? Please bring it along for the sharing table.
4. Be a good neighbour Does someone live close by who would appreciate some time out of the house? Please do bring them along - there will be a sharing table for food and the event is suitable for all ages!
5. Help us to recycle There will be recycling bins available on the common on the day. Please use these and help us to keep the different sorts of recyclables (e.g plastics, glass, paper etc) separate so that they can be recycled once the event is over. If the recycling gets mixed up it is considered to be contaminated so has to go to landfill.
Thank you! We are really keen to minimise the recycling and landfill waste created by any events on Horfield Common & your support in the above will help us to do that!